An assessment of liver function test in typhoid fever in children
Background: Liver involvement is known in typhoid and may be in the form of hepatomegaly, jaundice, biochemical and histopathological changes. Isolated hepatomegaly is of no clinical significance, but its occurrence with jaundice though rare indicates liver involvement as a result of generalized toxemia or invasion by salmonella. Significant liver damage may have occurred without obvious clinical signs or abnormal laboratory tests.
Aim of study: Assessment of liver functionin typhoid fever in children diagnosed by widal agglutination test by biochemical test.
Setting: Fifty four cases of typhoid fever less than 16 years admitted in Paediatric Department MY Hospital, MGM Medical College Indore, comprised the clinical material for the study.
Design: Cross sectional study.
Method: 54 children with enteric fever were taken after making clinical diagnosis,confirmed by Widaltest and LFT was performed to assess liver involvement.
Result: Hepatomegaly was seen in 19[35%] cases and tender hepatomegaly was seen in 2 cases of the study group. S.G.O.T was raised in 27[50%] cases and S.G.P.T was raised in 25[46%] cases out of total 54 cases. Most of the cases with raised S.G.O.T and S.G.P.T presented in the 2nd week of fever .Serum bilirubin was raised in only 2 cases.
Statistical Analysis: for statistical analysis Kruskalwallis test was applied.
Conclusion: Out of 54 cases S.G.O.T was raised in 27 cases and S.G.P.T in 25 cases .Most cases with raised S.G.O.T and S.G.P.T presented in the s 2nd week of fever.Serum bilirubin was raised in only 2 cases.
2. De Brito T, Trench-vieira W, D Agostino- Dias . Jaundice in typhoidhepatitis; A light and electron microscopy study based onbiopsies. ActaHeppatoGastroenterol 1977; 24: 426- 433. [PubMed]
3. Khosla S N, Singh R, Singh G P, et al. the spectrum of hepatic injury in enteric fever. Am J Gastroenterol, 1988; 86: 1235-1239. [PubMed]
4. Ramachandran S, Godfrey JJ, et al. Typhoid hepatitis. JAMA 1974 ; 230 : 236-240. [PubMed]
5. Stuart BM, pullen RI. Typhoid clinical analysis of 360 cases Arch Int. Med 1946; 78 :629- 667. [PubMed]
6. Ricardo Morgenstern, Peter C Hyes. The Liver in Typhoid Fever : Always affected, not just a complication. Am J Gastroenterol, 1991; 86 :1235- 1239. [PubMed]
7. Thome A, Zein E, Nasnas R. J Med Liban 2004 Apr – JUN ; 52(2): 71-7. [PubMed]
8. Jagadish K, Patwari AK, Sarin SK, Prakash C, Srivastava DK, Anand VK Indian Pediatr. 1994 jul; 31(7): 807-11. [PubMed]
9. Dr. Srikanth .N MD, Dr. Santhosh Kumar. M MD IOSR-JDMS e- ISSN: 2279-0853, p-ISSN: 2279-0861. Volume 14, Issue 3 Ver. VI(Mar. 2015), PP17-24.
10. Farzanashafqat, ZafarIqbal, Anwaar A. Khan, FarrukhIqbal, AltafAlam, Arshad Kamal Butt,Waqar Hassan Shah Dept of medicine and gastroenterology, sheikh Zayed Hospital, Lahore. Hepatic involvement with typhoid fever.proceeding S.Z.P.G.M.I vol: 8(1-2) 1994, pp. 38-42.
11. Ali Hassan A bro, Ahmed MS Abdou, Jawahar L. Gangwani, Abdulla Mustadi, nadeem J Younis ,HinaSeyadaHussaini Rashid Hospital Dubai Hematological and biochemical changes in typhoid fever. (original article vol:25 april- june2009(part 1) number 2)
12. M Rasoolinejad, N EsmailboorBazaz and B moghelAIhosein salmonella hepatitis Dept of infectious disease, Imam Khomeini hospital, School of medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
13. Ozen H, secmeer G, Kanra G, Ecevit Z, Ceyhan M, Dursun A, Aniar Y Typhoid fever with very high transaminase, Turk J Pediatr. 1995 apr- jun;37 (2) :169- 71. [PubMed]
14. M Misadaree, A Shirdel, F Rokneeon typhoid myopathy or typhoidhepatitis. Indian journal of medical microbiology, vol. 25, no. 4, oct- dec, 2007, pp.351-353. DOI: 10.4103/0255-0857.37337. [PubMed]
Copyright (c) 2016 Author (s). Published by Siddharth Health Research and Social Welfare Society
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.